Let's get organized...


Since being organized in my personal life does not come naturally to me like it does Sarah, I decided to make this my new year’s resolution… GET ORGANIZED. Yes, I know that is very vague, but I do want to get organized in as many ways as possible. I began cleaning things out in January when the rest of the world was also still working strongly toward their resolutions and just like most of those people with new gym memberships, I started to lose focus on my goal. Well now I am finally getting back on track and excited to share it with you {please don’t judge the before pics that you may see on some posts}.

When we moved in several months ago, there were boxes stacked everywhere. We quickly realized that we needed to pick up a few things before we would be able to completely unpack. One of our first purchases{after living room curtains- more about those later} was a bookshelf to store lots of books and also personal/sentimental items that would help warm the place up since we had to deal with lovely “apartment beige” walls. We were not wanting to spend a lot of money on this- we just wanted something functional for now. Well, I would say that is exactly what we got. The BF came back from Ikea with what might be the best bargain EVER and it is the perfect size for an apartment {also I told him I wanted a back to the book case so he thought this was a good compromise}. He did good!

 
Ikea LAIVA Bookcase $25

Lucky for me, I did not take pics of all of the boxes before unpacking, but here is what the bookcase looks like today.



We already owned most of the items on the bookshelf: the beautiful Fearless Entertaining books on the third shelf were gifts from my mom over the years, as well as many of the pretty cook books on the top shelf that used to be hidden inside cabinets, the white owl book ends were a Christmas present to ourselves from Z Gallerie, the pottery bowl on the third shelf-that happened to match the living room colors perfectly-came from my grandmother's house, the painting on the top shelf was a Christmas gift several years back from two of the cutest little girls-Addy and Aubrey, and if you look closely at the books on the selves, most of them are a funny assortment- everything from Psychology for Dummies to Mathematics for the Nonmathematician. The book case really helped bring some personality to our new apartment while avoiding taking up much space.

A couple of months ago, I managed to find a new home for the bobble heads that once lived on the top shelf :-/ I really hate that I didn't get a picture of the shelf back then. Needless to say, this has been a work in progress. If you are trying to decorate your own bookshelves, just remember to aim for a good balance between pretty pieces and personal items{and in our case, we also chose some funny things as well}.

Let me know what you think and if you have tried something similar in your home.

~Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment